Treat Without Meat is a campaign that was created by Green Initiatives on World Water Day to raise awareness about the amount of water that goes into the production of meat. Treat without Meat aims to combat the global issue by the simple act of ‘sharing’. Treat a friend to a vegetarian meal during the campaign month, and then encourage them to “Pay It Forward!”
Save water, treat meatless!
The World Economic Forum has recently ranked water scarcity as the number one risk to global society. While many people are aware of the domestic usage of water, #TreatWithoutMeat brings to attention food production—which accounts for over 90% of current water usage.
#TreatWithoutMeat hopes to encourage everyone to eat more vegetarian meals in response to an increased awareness of our water footprints.
Simply substituting one meat-based meal for a vegetarian meal saves 800 liters of water. An individual switching one meal for a vegetarian meal everyday could save over 290,000 liters of water a year!
MEAT = WATER??
Believe it or not, each one of us EATS water. That’s right, we not only drink water, but consume it as well. See below how the consumption of 1 cow, which produces 200 kg of boneless beef, leaves such a large water footprint:
- 3,060,000 L → A cow consumes grains (1300 kg) and hay (7200 kg) during its lifetime
- 24,000 L → A cow drinks water throughout its 3 year lifespan
- 7,000 L → Upkeep and slaughtering process
What this means:
- 3,091,000 L of water → 200 kg beef
- 15,400 L of water → 1 kg beef
Compare this to the production of 1 kg of other foods:
- Cheese → 3,180 L of water
- Rice → 2,500 L of water
- Soybeans → 2,185 L of water
- Wheat → 1,830 L of water
- Apples → 822 L of water
With a more sustainable food output when directing our limited water resources to fruits, vegetables, and grains, we can limit the long and wasteful process of meat production.
Click here to learn more about the water usage in food production.
We are spreading the word by bringing people together over vegetarian meals from 18 July to 17 September! Treat yourself and some friends to a meal without meat, and then ask them to pass it on. A ripple effect will be created by this “Pay It Forward” gesture!
Our current goal is to save 500,000 liters of water during the campaign month by substituting 650 meat-based meals for vegetarian meals! In order to track our progress, we are asking participants to share photos of their meals through WeChat (China), Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. These photos will provide an accurate record of the amount of participants and how many meals were shared!
Let us show others that together we can make simple changes to our daily life that can have a huge and lasting impact on the environment. Share your #TreatWithoutMeat photos through our WeChat, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter pages!
How to Participate
- Share a vegetarian meal with one or more of your friends, colleagues, or family members at home or a nice restaurant. Even better, treat them to a meal and mention the impact of choosing a substituted vegetarian meal!
- Take a picture of your meal and share it with us!
- Ask your friends, colleagues, and family members to join the #TreatWithoutMeat WeChat account (QR code) or follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages, and then “Pay It Forward!” to 3 new friends!
- Pledge here to one meatless day per week if you are inspired to do even more about your water footprint!
Shanghai Restaurant Suggestions:
- WHEAT Healthy Eatery (380 Dagu Lu, near Chengdu Bei, Jing'an, Shanghai, China)
- Participate in the Treat Without Meat campaign at WHEAT and receive a FREE detox juice GREEN 101!
- Mammamia Pizzeria (2/F, 1333 Huaihai Zhong Lu, near Changshu Lu, Shanghai, China)
- WATTz (999 Wuding Lu, near Jiaozhou Lu, Jing'an, Shanghai, China)
- Participate in Meatless Monday (MM) at WATTz! All MM diners will be included in the Treat Without Meat campaign.
The TreatWithoutMeat campaign has helped save over 500,000L of water in the course of the two months of the campaign through 650+ meals shared by individuals in the Shanghai community. The campaign also led to the coining of a new phrase for people meeting eating together, "How about a 'TreatWithoutMeat'?"
People can still pledge using the survey even now, after the first two months have been completed. Head to the survey link to continue pledging to"treat without meat".
**Please contact us with any comments, questions, or concerns throughout the duration of the campaign**
Articles related to meat consumption and high water use: