As our hunger for convenience grows, the plastic trash that we end up producing to feed this convenience also only further grows. Bottled water is a classic example of this.
"In the last 20 years China has become the world’s No. 1 bottled water consumer; driven by safety concerns & convenience. This leads to approximately 1 Jinmao Tower worth of plastic waste in China alone each year. This is approx. 1 million tonnes of plastic material wasted as of 2012.”
A Report by China Water Risk
Green Initiatives’ Better Water Campaign aims to address this challenge. By re-connecting organizations with existing solutions we aim to reduce drinking water cost while reducing plastic waste.
Let’s make DRINKING WATER healthier, cheaper and less wasteful.
The Problem of Bottled Water Use
Here’s a few important facts to note about bottled water consumption.
- It takes nearly 3 bottles of water + ¼ bottle of oil to produce 1 bottle of water.
- Plastic waste generated by the bottled water industry = 1 Jinmao Tower per year
- Bottled does not necessarily mean better quality water
- Bottled water industry is not properly regulated
- Bottled water industry threatens China’s groundwater and Asia’s glacial watersheds
Whats worse, bottled water use is only further expected to grow if this image is anything to believe.
While the Chinese government is taking action to protect its water resources, reduce plastic waste and improve public drinking water service, it also needs contribution from end users – both individuals and organizations – to move away from the convenience & lifestyle factors that bottled water involves.
Believe it or not, the ‘solutions’ are already out there, and much simpler than one may imagine.
Replacing bottled water with filtered water or reusable water containers can reduce drinking water costs by upto 70%, while also drastically reducing single-use plastic waste.
If organizations switch to these alternatives, it would lead to a considerable decrease in bottled water waste.
Why Should Your Company Participate?
- Saves money
- Reduces plastic waste
- Engage and empowers staff into positive impact
- Corporate communication and brand exposure
This campaign is a work in progress that is being soft-launched in support of Earth Day 2019, on 23 Aprill 2019 at One Museum Place, Shanghai.
For enquiries on how to support, partner or participate in the campaign, please send us an email.
- Best Drinking Water Filter For China (link)
- A million bottles a minute (link)