Between 33-50% of all food produced globally is never eaten, and the value of this wasted food is worth over $1 trillion. To put that in perspective, in the USA food waste represents 1.3% of the total GDP. Food waste is a massive market inefficiency, the kind of which does not persist in other industries.
“Sadly, it is not an exaggeration to say that food waste is one of the biggest problems facing mankind today.”
While the core focus of the Food for Good initiative is to raise awareness, understanding + solutions to the problem of food waste, we also include activities focused on the adoption of a healthier diet, since the food waste issue is intricately linked also to our less-than-holistic approach and understanding of our food system as a whole.
HOW FOOD FOR GOOD WORKS
This initiative was launched by Green Initiatives in April 2021 to encourage people to take action on food waste.
Designed activities to achieve this goal are including but not limited to:
- Munch-N-Learn：Introduction to food waste, its global impact, and the Chinese context to the attendees. Includes videos, infographics and discussions.
- Film Screening：A documentary about food waste and food rescue. Featuring interviews with TED lecturer, author and activist Tristram Stuart and acclaimed author Jonathan Bloom. Film will be followed by discussion and sharing with the participants
- Food as Medicine: This session is to create and understanding of a healthy, balanced diet through promoting all-natural biodiverse ingredients, without preservatives, without additives, without artificial flavors, without artificial colorings.
- Dining Experience: This event is meant to be a “surprise event”. We aim to invite staff for a fine dining experience and reveal at the end of it that it was entirely plant-based, to demonstrate that plant-based can be delicious, and definitely healthy.
- Cook-off: This will be a fun team building and adventure activity cooking food together. The focus will be on using seasonal, ugly vegetables and meat to cook a meal together. We will have an experienced chef conducting the training at a professional kitchen + dining space.
- Juicing Workshop: The focus of this session will be to teach people to juice at home, the right equipment, the cost and health benefits of doing so.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
> Companies / educational institutions - Contact us to get a detailed proposal with a full list of all activities in this initiative.