Pollution and environmental degradation are felt globally. However, our homes also directly affect us and our environment. This includes, but is not limited to the indoor air quality, the products and appliances we use, our energy consumption habits, and maintenance practices. Homes use large amounts of resources to function the way we have created them. Most operate round the clock, and use excessive amounts of energy to produce the lighting, air conditioning, water, and other services.
In a world with over 7.4 billion people, we can certainly see the damage that this is creating.
Fortunately, improving the quality of our homes is not as difficult as you might think. Some simple changes to the way we live and the products we use can have a huge impact on our environment. In the day of smart technology, energy-saving solutions can quickly be implemented within the household. It’s never too late to turn your house “green” and improve the quality of life for everyone.
Some questions we would be looking to answer through this forum are:
- How does technology enable us to live a greener and healthier life?
- How can we determine the indoor air quality of our houses?
- What daily habits at home can we change to decrease energy consumption?
- What upgrades and improvements have the largest impact on the environment?
- Event will be completely in Mandarin.
- There will be an entrance fee of ¥30 for all registered guests including beer and beverages, and happy hour prices on other drinks. Limited number free entrance for students and interns, with PRIOR REGISTRATION (else ¥30).
- Snacks/simple bites will be provided with support from Yimishiji and URBN.
- URBN Hotel is a Partner in Green Initiatives' [WE] Project. If you have used electronic items to dispose for recycling please bring them to the event venue and drop them off at the WE Box.
- 18:30-19:00 Registration & Networking
- 19:00-19:45 Brief Speaker Presentations
- 19:45-20:15 Panel Discussion
- 20:15-21:00 Drinks & Networking
Raefer Wallis, Founder & CEO, GIGA
Background: Raefer Wallis, is an Architect and the founder of GIGA, an independent third party scaling the adoption of healthy building standards via cloud software.
Raefer is also the founder of RESET; the world’s first building standard to assess and benchmark the health performance of buildings in real-time. Based in Shanghai, Raefer is behind many firsts, including the first carbon-neutral hotel in Asia, the first eco-regenerative retreat in China and largest modern rammed-earth building in the world. GIGA has played a critical role in completing Asia's first LEED platinum resort, the two first LBC projects in China as well as authoring the first regional / Chinese language EPDs, HPDs and Declare labels.
Zhu Wenting, Founder, XPOWER
Background: Mr. Zhu is founder of Shanutec. Shanutec looks towards the future of human habitation by being the first in the industry to introduce the concept of Intelligent Spaces. Utilizing the Xpower Intelligent Electrical Distribution System as the first stepping stone on the road to a fully modulated interior furbishing system with complete prefabrication and modular assembly allowing for a easy lifestyle free from the confines of traditional construction constraints.
Yu Luting (Laban), Marketing Group Leader, ZigBee Alliance
Background: ZigBee Alliance is a high-growth non-profit industry organizations, including members of the world's leading semiconductor manufacturers, technology providers, OEM manufacturers and end-users. Members are developing a network based on IEEE802.15.4, reliable, cost-effective, low-power network application specifications. Mr. Yu is Marketing Group Leader of ZigBee Alliance.
Noah Willingham, Head of South China, Smart Air
Background: Noah Willingham comes from the clean air mountains of Utah. He graduated from Portland State University in 2014 with a degree in Chinese. He spent the past two years working for Princeton in Asia as a lecturer at Zhejiang University of Technology. Noah began working for Smart Air Filters a year ago and is now the head of South China. Smart Air Filters provides low cost, yet highly efficient air purifiers to people all over China, India, and Mongolia.
Subject: A representative from Smart Air will discuss some common misconceptions that people have about air pollution, and some simple tips to avoid air pollution in your homes.
Better Planet, Better Life - Event Series Overview
Green Initiatives’ first series of events focused exclusively towards the Chinese community to serve two purposes:
- to provide knowledge and tools for a healthier, safer and more sustainable lifestyle
- to provide a platform to meet like-minded individuals from the global-local community and make sustainability easy
The series aims to create awareness on environmental issues from a daily lifestyle perspective covering key topics such as food safety, urban pollution (water, air, soil), green homes, conscious consumption and social entrepreneurship.
The Better Planet, Better Life series will bring the essence of the most successful Green Drinks events and the best speakers from the last 6 years to serve the needs of Chinese community.