Operations & Maintenance: Green Drinks October Forum @ Kokuyo
- 30-10-2014 19:00 - 21:00
- Kokuyo Furnitures, Shanghai
The operation and maintenance of a building represents the largest investment of time, capital and resources in the life cycle of a building (up to 80%). There are numerous opportunities where facility managers can implement initiatives through changes in building equipment and technology as well as in operation and maintenance procedures that can result in significant cost savings AND environmental impact.
Key areas of focus in sustainable building operations and maintenance can typically be classified into 8 categories: Energy, Water, Material and Resources, Workplace Management, IEQ, Quality of Services, Waste, and Site Impact.
What new concepts, processes, and technologies have been developed for each category that will help achieve sustainable building operation? How can these be integrated to realize a unified sustainable strategy and goal? What are the pitfalls in sustainable building maintenance?
Note: This event is free to everyone who registers, so PLEASE REGISTER below. A token RMB20 will be collected from non-registered guests.
Subject: Chaoqin will talk about LEED EBOM as a framework for sustainable operation and maintenance, with an emphasis on energy management. He will also include a case study on the energy management of Shanghai IFC.
Background: Chaoqin Zhai is Technical Director for Integrated Solutions at UTC BIS North Asia, responsible for the development and promotion of UTC integrated building solutions. She also serves as Director for Energy Solutions at EMSI, managing the company’s energy service business, including commissioning, system audit and energy performance contracting. Dr. Zhai has more than fifteen years of experience in building science and technologies, specializing in areas of strategic planning of energy supply systems; commissioning and retro-commissioning of energy use system in buildings; energy audit and retrofit for building efficiency improvement; energy performance contracting (EPC), building energy simulation; green building design support and consultancy.
Subject: Strategies in Facilities Management to minimize energy & water consumption in large commercial facilities to create win-win outcomes for the corporate bottom-line and environment.
Background: Ray is the Business Development Director (Engineering Applications) at PACT Environmental Technology Co. Ltd. Ray has worked in Siemens R&D, involved with OMEGA, a project started in NASA to develop a total renewable energy based integrated energy & resource production system that aims to fully replace the existing fossil fuel based infrastructure system (TED Global 2012 highlight.) A perpetual student fortunate enough to be given opportunity to gain knowledge & experience in many fields, his long term professional goal is to assist in creation of solutions to tackle the climate, food, water & energy challenges our world faces.
- 18.30 – 19.15: Registrations, Drinks and Networking
- 19.15 – 20.00: Event introduction and speaker presentations
- 20.00 – 20.30: Panel Discussion / Q&A
- 20.30 – 21.00: Drinks & Networking
High-rise buildings are among the largest consumers of natural resources. Immense amounts of concrete, steel, aluminum, copper, wood, plastic, and glass is required for construction. The production of these materials creates large-scale environmental damage and utilizes significant amounts of water and power while generating equally significant amounts of waste and pollution. When we include the additional water and power required to put all these materials together into a completed structure, the perspective is sobering.
Even then, it is often cited that construction costs make up only about 20% of the lifetime cost of a building; operation and maintenance make up the remaining 80%.
So when we consider sustainable buildings, it is vitality important that we pay particular attention to their sustainable management long after their completion and certification. To add sustainability into building management is to minimize building operation footprints without compromising functionality through the adoption of a lifecycle perspective, starting from workplace design through to spatial and functional optimization.
It is not necessarily more costly to build and operate a sustainable building if green intent is established properly and early, and facility managers can document significant financial, environmental and social impact when sustainable operational practices are properly adopted.
If you would like to speak or propose a speaker on any of the above topics please send us an email and we’d be happy to discuss with you further.