On Earth Day in April 2018 Green Initiatives organized our first community yoga session with our amazing and sincere yoga guru, Raj Bala.
The goal was simple:
- to connect individuals with themselves and their 'environment' in an increasingly 'disconnected' world
- to fill individuals with positive vibe and energy as they start a week, and make them part of a larger community of conscious individuals
- to increase awareness on how yoga could help achieve (1) & (2)
- to make yoga accessible to ALL, by bringing down cost barrier and avoiding the usual 'members-only' model
By April 2019, as we celebrate one year of these yoga events, we have organized 43 individual yoga sessions attended by nearly 750 people, with 60% being repeat users. The actual number of unique attendees stands at approximately 300 people. What's more - we have met some incredible people and made lovely friends.
Come join us for our 1st anniversary yoga session, where, as usual, the focus will be partially on working on your body but mostly on working on your inner self - hence 'work-in'.
'aham' is the Sanskrit word for 'I' or 'Me'. Change starts with myself.
About the Trainer
Raj Bala, or ‘Raj’ as he is popularly called, has been teaching yoga since 2003, since he received his training at the Universal Yoga Centre in India under Vijay Amar, who has a distinction of 40,000+ hours teaching yoga.
Raj is trained in Ashtanga, Hatha, hot and flow yoga, and E-RYT 500 certified by Yoga Alliance®, the largest global nonprofit association with a mission to support and promote integrity and diversity in teaching yoga.
Raj has taught yoga in different parts of India, has deep appreciation and knowledge for nature and ancient Indian culture and traditions. He has been based in Shanghai since 2005, teaching at Wills Gym all through, apart from several private lessons.
Raj is also a trained massage therapist with over 6 years experience in Swedish and deep tissue massage.
- Both beginners and advanced yogis are welcome. Sessions are organized every Sunday.
- Wear comfortable clothes. You will be required to remove your footwear/socks before starting the session.
- Yoga mats will be available for the first 15 sign ups only. We suggest you to bring your own yoga mat, if you have one already.
- Class size limited to 25 individuals. Payment needs to be made in advance.