The Price We Pay: Green Drinks October Film Screening
- 20-12-2018 19:00 - 21:00
- Haworth Furniture, Shanghai
This October, shortly after the 10th anniversary of the Global Financial Crisis, at Green Initiatives' 94th film screening we feature The Price We Pay, a documentary that blows the lid off the dirty world of corporate wrongdoing, especially big-business tax avoidance which has seen multinationals depriving governments of trillions of dollars in tax revenues by harboring profits in offshore havens.
Tax havens, originally created by London bankers in the 50s, today put over half the world’s stock of money beyond reach of public treasuries.
The Price We Pay is inspired by Brigitte Alepin’s book La Crise fiscale qui vient. Director Harold Crooks (who co-directed Surviving Progress with Mathieu Roy) blows the lid off the dirty world of corporate malfeasance with this incendiary documentary about the dark history and dire present-day reality of big-business tax avoidance, which has seen multinationals depriving governments of trillions of dollars in tax revenues by harboring profits in offshore havens. Tax havens, originally created by London bankers in the 50s, today put over half the world’s stock of money beyond reach of public treasuries.
Nation states are being reshaped by this offshoring of the world’s wealth. Tax avoidance by big corporations and the wealthy – citizens of nowhere for tax purposes – is paving the way to historic levels of inequality and placing the tax burden on the middle class and the poor. Crusading journalists, tax justice campaigners and former finance and technology industry insiders speak frankly about the accelerating trends that are carrying the Western world to an unsustainable future.
- 18:00-19:00 Registrations & networking
- 19:00-19:30 Green Initiatives introduction
- 19:15-20:30 Film screening
- 20:30-21:15 Q&A/Discussions and networking
- Film does NOT come with Chinese subtitles.
- Entrance fee of ¥50 for all registered guests, that includes snacks, juice and beer. ¥70 at-the-door for non-registered guests.
- ¥20 for students and interns (limited seats), with PRIOR REGISTRATION and student card.
- We have seating space only for 80 people although we have plenty of standing space. Please come in early to secure a seat.